Category: sewing girls

I had an amazing time shooting at Bancroft’s C…

I had an amazing time shooting at Bancroft’s Castle in my Pincushion outfit last weekend! We had a big group photoshoot where a bunch of us got together and shot at the ruins of a small castle outside of Boston. The location was beautiful but getting there was a bit of an adventure – we didn’t realize there was a path to hike up so @pearlybae and I ended up cutting through a small forested area and having to duck through a gap in a barbed wire fence… while I was in my underclothes and carrying the outer garments wrapped up in a bedsheet, LOL. These photos were taken where the castle’s kitchen hearth would have been.

Photos by sam_saturn on IG

This is just a quick cell phone photo that @st…

This is just a quick cell phone photo that @stella-sews snapped of me when I took Pincushion out for a quick bit on Thursday of Katsucon, but it’s my favorite full body photo of the final outfit that I have so far! The wig I envisioned is still not complete but I definitely will be catching up with that soon.

More skirt placement progress! Btw, because I…

More skirt placement progress! Btw, because I’m dumb and don’t know how to handle posting to more than one social media platform at once, I’ve been putting a lot more of my #cosplayblogging content in my Instagram stories now. If you would like to get the full dosage of my Katsucrunch shitposting I’m Ivorivet on Insta!

Working on Pincushion, and I finally get to st…

Working on Pincushion, and I finally get to start putting together her skirt panels!

I finished up my pin bandoliers yesterday! I a…

I finished up my pin bandoliers yesterday! I also tried using Plastidip as a primer for my scissors because I wanted the paint job to be resistant to cracking, and… Whoa man, would not recommend for use on Thibra. It bubbled so bad, but fortunately with a little elbow grease it peeled off.

Finalizing my foam base for my giant pair of…

Finalizing my foam base for my giant pair of stork scissors! I used 8mm EVA foam, rounded the edges and made the etched details with a dremel tool, and created the blade bevels with a wire foam cutter and a power sander. I’m really pleased with how smoothly the long bevels came out! Next up is covering it in Thibra.

yaexrae: I am so slow at this it’s unbelievab…

yaexrae:

I am so slow at this it’s unbelievable. 🙁 Between the first and second picture is about four hours’ worth of work. I was taking progress shots after each new line of hair and was like, “man I’m actually getting faster at this, I should have the whole lobe done tonight!” and then I looked at it from the top down. lol.

Things are definitely going faster, but I’m not sure if it’s because I’m getting more skilled at laying larger chunks of hair down or if the areas closer to the center of the lobe are easier to put hair on because there’s less of a curve. I’m really glad I started on this now, at least!

I had to drop my sewing machine off at a repai…

I had to drop my sewing machine off at a repair shop today, so I’m starting on my wig right now! This is my first time ever styling a wig with a foam core so I’m a little nervous about it. I also started on the giant hair pins today – each one is two size 11 knitting needles spliced together, and the pin head for the highest one will be two decorative barrettes that I took the clips off of and straightened out.

First set of machine embroidery! I’m super ple…

First set of machine embroidery! I’m super pleased with how these turned out – the final leaves are made from silk dupioni with metallic embroidery thread.  I used a water soluble stabilizer and the same thread for both top and bobbin, so they still should be attractive to view from the back if anything curls or flips up.

Okay, I THINK I finally have all this digitizi…

Okay, I THINK I finally have all this digitizing and embroidery figured out.  This photoset doesn’t look like a lot but it took a whole afternoon!  There are captions on the individual photos.

I fixed my scaling problem, made various petal sizes from 3/4″ to 2.5″, made leaves, measured the length and width of the bias tape I’ll need to cover the frames, mathed it all out (using paper/pencil and Excel), and made cutting diagrams for all three of the fabrics I’m going to be using for this part of the project so I don’t have to worry if I’ll have enough.   For now I’m looking forward to doing something other than geometry.

I did not realize when I started this how much machine embroidery it was going to take – according to my calculations it’ll be 53 hoops.  jfc.