Category: cosplayblogging

I feel like this is a pretty good summary of m…

I feel like this is a pretty good summary of my afternoon: watching Voltron, sculpting titties, a cat is there

yaexrae: More Carmen progress. I thiiink what…

yaexrae:

More Carmen progress. I thiiink what I’ll be doing once I finish the sculpt is to make a mold, then paint in a layer of Ecoflex all over, then reinforce the front of the mask with some brush-on resin so the facial features won’t get distorted. I need to do some experimenting to see how thick the Ecoflex needs to be strong, but I’ve got some gauzey fabric I can include in the casting to help protect it against tears.

Getting some use out of my headcast! I definit…

Getting some use out of my headcast! I definitely want to do lots of stuff with it but I figured Carmen’s mask would be a good starting sculpt since it doesn’t have a lot of complicated shapes or texture. Once the sculpt is done I’ll make a mold and probably brush in some resin to keep everything lightweight.

This past weekend I got together with @stell…

This past weekend I got together with @stella-sews and we made head casts of each other! Last night I finished patching and trimming the plaster on mine and I’m super pleased with how it turned out. This is my second head cast which covers more surface area and has much less distortion around my ears/jawline, and I’m excited to use it for several upcoming projects. I didn’t get plaster all the way into my earlobes, but I also have better molds of my ears from another project.

This weekend @stella-sews and I made head cast…

This weekend @stella-sews and I made head casts of each other! I had been wanting to improve on my first head cast that I made a few years ago that hasn’t been truly usable due to some distortions in the mother mold. We both got our shoulders included in these which was another bonus.

We used about ¾ths of a gallon-sized kit of Smooth-On’s Body Double for the molds, and three rolls of their 8" plaster bandages. I’m regretting not buying more because I used almost two whole rolls for Stella’s mother mold and didn’t leave her with a lot to do mine with… If I do this again in the future I’m definitely getting two rolls per person. Stella suggested we add an extra layer of Body Double to my mold to make up for the thin mother mold I was going to get, and I think it helped tremendously. In the eighth picture you can see how my mold (left) is standing up better on its own with three coats per side instead of the two coats I used for Stella’s. The seventh picture is the amount of Body Double we pre-measured for my mold.

This evening we finished coating the molds with about an inch thick layer of hard plaster (type III dental stone, to resist wear due to sculpting/scraping) and we’re letting them cure for a day before backfilling them with foam and adding bases. I’m really looking forward to having this for a few of my upcoming projects!

This weekend @stella-sews and I made head cast…

This weekend @stella-sews and I made head casts of each other! I had been wanting to improve on my first head cast that I made a few years ago that hasn’t been truly usable due to some distortions in the mother mold. We both got our shoulders included in these which was another bonus.

We used about ¾ths of a gallon-sized kit of Smooth-On’s Body Double for the molds, and three rolls of their 8" plaster bandages. I’m regretting not buying more because I used almost two whole rolls for Stella’s mother mold and didn’t leave her with a lot to do mine with… If I do this again in the future I’m definitely getting two rolls per person. Stella suggested we add an extra layer of Body Double to my mold to make up for the thin mother mold I was going to get, and I think it helped tremendously. In the eighth picture you can see how my mold (left) is standing up better on its own with three coats per side instead of the two coats I used for Stella’s. The sixth picture is the amount of Body Double we pre-measured for my mold.

This evening we finished coating the molds with about an inch thick layer of hard plaster (type III dental stone, to resist wear due to sculpting/scraping) and we’re letting them cure for a day before backfilling them with foam and adding bases. I’m really looking forward to having this for a few of my upcoming projects!

This looks better in daylight, but I’ve …

This looks better in daylight, but I’ve finally finished all the major elements of the pincushion skirt! The frames and the flowers are all permanently attached.

More skirt placement progress! Btw, because I…

More skirt placement progress! Btw, because I’m dumb and don’t know how to handle posting to more than one social media platform at once, I’ve been putting a lot more of my #cosplayblogging content in my Instagram stories now. If you would like to get the full dosage of my Katsucrunch shitposting I’m Ivorivet on Insta!

Some skirt progress!

Some skirt progress!

Working on Pincushion, and I finally get to st…

Working on Pincushion, and I finally get to start putting together her skirt panels!