Hey guys, sorry I’ve been a bit quiet here on Tumblr! I just realized I haven’t made a post on my cosplay account in months, even though I’ve been chugging away at stuff. When I started using Instagram I didn’t intend to become less active on Tumblr, but I think my drop off in use is due to Tumblr Mobile being so broken that it makes it hard to blog about my WIP stuff. It’s way easier to throw stuff up on my Instagram stories than wait for Tumblr to choke on an image upload. :I I’ll try to be more consistent about posting here!
Anyway, here’s my Legolas cosplay I made for Dragon Con! He’s far from finished – I just managed to get his very basic outfit together with not much else. I’m really pleased with how everything turned out so far despite being thrown together in less time than I thought I’d have. The bracers and the tunic are probably my favorite pieces so far – the former are made from leather that I had a great time forming and painting, and the latter is made from two types of synthetic suede that I’m reeeeally pleased with the color matching on. The wig is an Amazon wig that I ventilated some Arda fiber to to customize the hairline, the shirt is dupioni silk with ridiculous underarm lacing that you can’t see in these photos, and the pants are some fakey fake stretch suede that were the only fabric that I had to dye for this project. YAY. The current belt is a stand-in I bought from at a Ren Faire the weekend before Dragon Con, because I wanted to sleep instead of tool leather for 5+ hours. I’ve got his actual belts in the works, though!
Currently I’m trying to recover from the con season and also get a new workspace in order for doing messy non-sewing stuff, but pretty soon I should be starting work on Legolas’s Lothlorien quiver and other gear.
Amethyst progress for tonight! I modified the Moonstone pattern from Heycutsew for the uniform, and the Transpart pieces for the wig are coming along. Now that the uniform is finished I can focus on getting the wig done for this weekend!
I had an amazing time shooting at Bancroft’s Castle in my Pincushion outfit last weekend! We had a big group photoshoot where a bunch of us got together and shot at the ruins of a small castle outside of Boston. The location was beautiful but getting there was a bit of an adventure – we didn’t realize there was a path to hike up so @pearlybae and I ended up cutting through a small forested area and having to duck through a gap in a barbed wire fence… while I was in my underclothes and carrying the outer garments wrapped up in a bedsheet, LOL. These photos were taken where the castle’s kitchen hearth would have been.
This past weekend I got together with @stella-sews and we made head casts of each other! Last night I finished patching and trimming the plaster on mine and I’m super pleased with how it turned out. This is my second head cast which covers more surface area and has much less distortion around my ears/jawline, and I’m excited to use it for several upcoming projects. I didn’t get plaster all the way into my earlobes, but I also have better molds of my ears from another project.
Results of heat setting experiment for horsehair braid: success! Steaming didn’t work but boiling in water for a few minutes does the trick. The braid does shrink in width and increase in length a little bit as you do this, so it’s a good idea to stretch it out over the rollers.
I’m going to be using these pieces to reinforce the ends of my jabot for Miles Edgeworth, but I think it could be used for any anime-style ruffles that you want to hold a very particular shape but still be flexible.